O Gauge Coal Merchant

Again not quite finished, this Coal Merchant’s has been made this week using a Laser Cut kit, but a card cut instead of my preferred wood.

I find the laser cut card kits more difficult to distress and I usually revert to my usual weathering methods with enamel over acrylic.  I also find my method of doing mortar using poly filler harder to do with Card Cut Buildings.

I always use real coal for O gauge projects, although I have been known to use O gauge ballast, painted black and flicked with gloss varnish. The number of times I see layouts with coal merchants with just one grade of coal, Realistically most had at least two or three. I went for Lump, Household and that horrible Nutty Slack!

To keep the weight down on my models, I used balsa wood for forming the coal mounds.

When the Model is eventually planted on the layout it will be blended and sacks and a coal weighing machine added.

DSCF5301

DSCF5302

DSCF5338

DSCF5340

DSCF5350

DSCF5351

DSCF5352

DSCF5353

A pair of Platelayers huts in O Gauge

Although not quite finished yet, I thought I would share these laser cut kits I have built and painted this week.

I have tried to give the wood a distressed look rather than a straight weathering. This was achieved by firstly painting them in acrylic brown paint and them scratching a lot off with a scalpel, coating with wood stain and then varnishing. The chimneys were painted and then the bricks picked out with poly filler for the mortar, this was also stained.

DSCF5334

DSCF5333.JPG

DSCF5332

DSCF5335

Hornby OO D16/3

Final loco in this batch is a D16/3. What a great model this really is, it portrays them as I remember seeing them at Norwich in the late 1950’s. Occasionally you could see them  after a cleaning, but that did not happen much towards the end.

There are plenty of black and white photographs, but a lot less full colour. However I managed to track down a few in the condition I required. Here are the results-

DSCF5322

DSCF5323

DSCF5327

A pair of DRS Class 37’s in OO

Again these models are for my friend in Australia, he has become quite a collector of DRS traction over the years.

37038 is a limited edition from several years ago and apart from detailing one buffer beam and giving it a medium weather it is virtually ‘out of the box’.

The second loco, 37703 is far from standard and is a complete re-spray from R3 Re-sprays, and my job was to detail one buffer beam, re-instate emergency cut offs and give a light weathering.

DSCF5312

DSCF5313

DSCF5317

DSCF5318

DSCF5319

DSCF5320

DSCF5321

O Gauge Class 37- Stratford’s 37263

This 37 is for a friend in Australia who remembers the Class 37’s on the Great Eastern Region of BR in the late 70’s – Early 80’s, just before many moved to Scotland.

The Loco is one of Heljan’s latest centre head code models, although several modifications were necessary to bring it into the timescale required for this loco.

All transfers were purchased, which included new marker dots for the head code and numbers and overhead warning flashes.

A banger plate for above the screw couplings was fashioned out of plastic card and fitted, the original pair of holders above the centre head code were removed. A new centre lamp bracket was made from brass and fitted. The whole area around the removed holders and the new lamp bracket was masked and re-sprayed.

A quite heavy weathering was required so I researched Class 37’s around the chosen period. They did become very grimy, very quickly, although the sides and yellow ends did seem to get a token cleaning, I have tried to portray a loco in this condition.

DSCF5304

DSCF5305

DSCF5306

DSCF5307

DSCF5308

DSCF5309

DSCF5311

O Gauge Station Layout – Update (Mid May)

After fitting the extra 6″ to the layout and sorting the fiddle yard join, I tested the whole layout electrically with an old controller and jumper leads. Thankfully all points and tracks worked according to plan and the first loco and stock was run. Full wiring will follow soon.

DSCF5263

Next task was to place the buildings on the layout in their revised positions, due to the extra 6″. Although I am not committed to these positions, they are likely to be near. I have made an extra item since my last post on buildings, it is a water tank built again from a laser cut kit. It is a superb kit but I have to say it is a bit larger than I expected so this may move over to my Steam Shed layout and another smaller one purchased. It is well worth having a good ‘play’ and see what looks best, end or side on etc.

As I have no indoor facilities for working on layouts, most work is completed on our picnic bench in the garden. This is why I have buildings in all states of manufacture, these are indoor fill in jobs when the weather is inclement outside.

I also added the ‘buffer stops’ at the end of the sidings and bay platform. These stops are made up of Scratch built, Peco and combinations of the two.

The Goods shed looks a bit blotchy, but all will be revealed later. My basic paint work laid down, I can now put the mortar in with fine Polyfilla and when dry and cleaned a coat of Coloron Wood Dye is wiped over to lessen the white effect of the Polyfilla. I will post pictures later.

DSCF5265

DSCF5267

DSCF5268

DSCF5270

DSCF5274