OO – Weathering Loco’s for Marsh Lane

When I sold Marsh Lane to Nick, I also sold him some stock. After a couple of Exhibitions, Nick has decided to start weathering his stock.  All are lightly weathered. I must admit on Class 47’s, using ‘wash & wipe’ to get dirt into the roof grills really brings them alive.

IMG_3876

IMG_3877

IMG_3879

IMG_3880

IMG_3881

IMG_3883

IMG_3885

IMG_3602

IMG_3603

IMG_3605

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

O Gauge JLTRT Pressflow Cement Wagon

This wagon was made by Graham and painted and weathered by myself.

I can not comment on the making of the wagon, but Graham certainly had to call on all his modelling techniques to finish it.

As far as painting was concerned it was a medium to difficult job with ‘lots’ of masking and quite a bit of hand painting. The transfers were OK, but could have been better– perhaps I should have varnished the transfers first! I put two coats of varnish on the transfers after applying them to ensure they stayed in place.

The weathering was performed by several washes and a little dry brushing on the body – then my usual methods on the chassis.

I am reasonably happy with the results – although it could have been better with more durable transfers.

IMG_3815

IMG_3816

IMG_3817

 

IMG_3818

 

 

 

 

 

 

Another Little Engines Class 15

This was a numbering and weathering project for Graham. When he purchased the loco, it had the revised transfers in the box. However I still had some of the ‘pink topped’ weird ones left from another Loco. These original transfers never went down very well with modellers,  and a more conventional set was available on request. Well, I used the old type and if used as stated, do a very good job.

The weathering is generally light on the body and medium on the roof and underframe.

IMG_3820

IMG_3821

IMG_3823

IMG_3819

IMG_3822

 

 

 

 

 

 

Six Dapol 4 wheel vans – O Gauge

This was a renumbering and weathering exercise for some insulated/meat vans. All renumbering was carried out using Fox Transfers. The Fox numbers were slightly smaller than the Dapol ones so any number change meant the whole number and not a partial had to be done.

The Dapol numbers come off with ‘white spirit’ very easily. Now a word of warning – not only do the numbers come off  easily – so do ‘all’ the other tampo printed items. This means if doing a wash to highlight the planking – all the other details will disintegrate !!! – solution, all tampo printed items to be kept must be varnished before weathering and washes applied. I used two coats and left for 48 hours to totally dry.

Meat Van

IMG_3802

 

IMG_3803

Pale Blue Insulated Vans

IMG_3799

 

IMG_3800

 

IMG_3801

White Insulated Vans

IMG_3804

 

IMG_3805

IMG_3806

IMG_3807

IMG_3808

 

 

O Gauge Multi Purpose Plank

After seeing the prices of O gauge rolling roads, and nearly falling off my seat, I decided to go my own way.

What I wanted:-

A metre of track to test Loco’s on – DC to start with – later DCC!

A Rolling Road to Run In Loco’s

A Fitted Magnet to Test ‘Spratt and Winkle Couplings’.

A Jig to ensure all ‘Spratts’ are at the same height when on the track.

A Jig for the Loops for use with the ‘Spratts’

A small work area for ‘fiddling’

Permanent DC Controller with power Clips.

Space to add a DCC controller and/or a tablet.

Storage for ancillary items, Rollers etc.

Well, attached photo’s are the results so far – Although I made this in ‘O’ Gauge – I would have thought that it can be done in any gauge, within reason! The cost so far is approx £80 as most items are second-hand, nearly new.

IMG_3787

IMG_3788

IMG_3789

IMG_3790

IMG_3792

IMG_3791

IMG_3793

Further work to be done on the storage boxes so will update as they happen

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

O Gauge STOVE ‘R’

While browsing Ebay I saw a rather old Westdale kit on a Buy it Now. It said it was ‘complete’ but I had my doubts. I duly purchased the kit for the BIN price and waited for its arrival.

On arrival it was clearly not complete, only having one end was not good, but at least I could use it as a template to make another. Although the kit was basic I have to say it went together very well and after adding a few extra bits I fashioned myself, I was very pleased with the results considering there was no instructions.

I painted the model in early BR Crimson livery and then did a medium weathering job. I may well change this to heavy later, so that I can run it with a couple of milk tankers to form an early sixties ‘milk train’.

IMG_3781

IMG_3782

IMG_3783