Hornby OO D16/3

Final loco in this batch is a D16/3. What a great model this really is, it portrays them as I remember seeing them at Norwich in the late 1950’s. Occasionally you could see them  after a cleaning, but that did not happen much towards the end.

There are plenty of black and white photographs, but a lot less full colour. However I managed to track down a few in the condition I required. Here are the results-




A pair of DRS Class 37’s in OO

Again these models are for my friend in Australia, he has become quite a collector of DRS traction over the years.

37038 is a limited edition from several years ago and apart from detailing one buffer beam and giving it a medium weather it is virtually ‘out of the box’.

The second loco, 37703 is far from standard and is a complete re-spray from R3 Re-sprays, and my job was to detail one buffer beam, re-instate emergency cut offs and give a light weathering.








O Gauge Class 37- Stratford’s 37263

This 37 is for a friend in Australia who remembers the Class 37’s on the Great Eastern Region of BR in the late 70’s – Early 80’s, just before many moved to Scotland.

The Loco is one of Heljan’s latest centre head code models, although several modifications were necessary to bring it into the timescale required for this loco.

All transfers were purchased, which included new marker dots for the head code and numbers and overhead warning flashes.

A banger plate for above the screw couplings was fashioned out of plastic card and fitted, the original pair of holders above the centre head code were removed. A new centre lamp bracket was made from brass and fitted. The whole area around the removed holders and the new lamp bracket was masked and re-sprayed.

A quite heavy weathering was required so I researched Class 37’s around the chosen period. They did become very grimy, very quickly, although the sides and yellow ends did seem to get a token cleaning, I have tried to portray a loco in this condition.








O Gauge Weathering for Shaun

Another couple of O gauge Heljan Diesel Locomotives for a friend, Shaun Harvey. Shaun has recently appeared in a Model Magazine with his N gauge layout, but like a lot of us, he is moving to O gauge. I won’t go into his plans, but an exciting new layout is on the way over the next year or so.

These loco’s are numbered to the pre-tops system without the ‘D’ prefix. This puts them in the 1968-72 era. Both are light to Medium weathering and are DC at present. although I think Shaun has plans for DCC.










More Pre-Tops 08 and a Class 31

Last week I got around to numbering the last of my Dapol Class 08’s – Weathering to follow!

The first one is D3131 and is in green. In fact this loco was still in green when it received Tops numbering. The bonnet access doors had their handles removed as they were not needed on this series of 08’s. I also added an extra vertical hand rail on the nose end. These seem random fitted to some loco’s. This engine was based at March (MR) in the period I model. Again I did a fair amount of research into appropriate loco’s, this really is essential as liveries were constantly changing, even on the same loco! I used Fox Transfers for the warning flashes and data panels. HMRS pressfix again being used for all numbers.




The next 08 was to be D3103,  a Western Region engine, based at Newport (EJ) during my modelling era. It did move to the Midland Region in late 1969. Again the bonnet access doors had the handles removed as they were not required. This loco had a black buffer beam in the photograph(s) I found.




The third 08 is D3275, this is a Scottish Region engine based at Polmadie (PO) during my required era. This loco has all the correct handrails and grabs as modelled by Dapol. The only modification was to paint the cab roof Blue.




The last Loco in this batch of numbering was D5593, this was a Finsbury Park (FP). It was one of the last 31’s in this original livery with a small warning panel and lasted until 1969 in this condition.

















O Gauge Pre Tops 08

Many years ago I purchased a bottle of Howes Railmatch ‘faded BR Blue’ paint. Up until now I have been a bit reluctant to try it. Anyway, after researching an appropriate 08 that fitted my requirements, number wise, body style and weathering, I decided to have a go at some faded areas on the body, mainly the bonnet top and the engine room doors.

I have to say that after fading with the areas required, I was a bit taken aback, the faded areas looked quite bright compared with the original Dapol BR blue. Anyway after a coat of Satin Varnish it did subdue the differences a bit.

After leaving the loco to thoroughly dry, I commenced a medium to heavy weather akin to photographs of the prototype. This was followed by another coat of varnish.

I am quite happy with the results and will use this method again. The weathering certainly breaks up any colour variances. See what you think.






Bachmann Colas Class 66

On my visits to Ely, one of my favourite trains is the Hoo Junction to Whitemore Yard Departmental service. This can be anything from a light engine(s) to massive trains of engineers stock, including cranes.

These trains are usually hauled by Colas 66’s, but Colas 70’s are also used on occasions. Colas do not have many 66’s and only two of them have names. When Bachmann brought out the Colas 66, I purchased two. I then purchased Railtec transfers and Shawplan nameplates for 66849 and 66850.

In real terms this is not a complicated conversion and after removing the original numbers, the transfers and plates were added. Like all my loco’s I detailed the end with the driver and left the tension locks on the other. They will be lightly weathered later.