O Gauge updating from LMS to Early BR

Here we have two items of rolling stock that needed updating, one Loco and one Van.

Firstly the Van, when removing the LMS lettering some transfers came away taking the original paint work as well! I look on accidents like this as an opportunity to do something a bit different. I masked the area that needed treating and mixed up a grey that was near, but a little darker, and hand painted it on. When dry I painted on a supposed ‘new’ plank. To add further interest I also added an advertising/contents sticker for ‘Spratts Oval Mixture’, Dog food I think. I tried to add the black backing transfers for the numbers, but sadly they were old water slide and disintegrated as I applied them, I painted the said panels on and added the numbers required.  I tried a few new ways on the weathering side, I emphasised the slats under the contents sticker and also used a browny – rusty coloured permanent marker to highlight a few rivet heads.

IMG_4086

IMG_4087

IMG_4089

 

Now to the Loco, and what a loco, a massive O-6-O. I don’t know much about the loco, other than it was a Wolverton Works Depot shunter.

The change from LMS to BR early was very straight forward and after changing the logo’s, it was varnished and then blended by weathering the changed area.

IMG_4090

 

IMG_4092

 

IMG_4091

IMG_4093

 

 

 

Advertisements

O Gauge stock weathering for Colin & John.

Here are some bits and pieces I have had a while now and only just got around to doing.

Dapol Wagons

I will say it again – if using wash and wipe to start the weathering process, then all printed detail must be varnished first and left to dry for 48 hours plus. Sadly the tampo printed details will disintegrate if not varnished.

IMG_4032

IMG_4037

IMG_4033

IMG_4036

IMG_4035

IMG_4034

IMG_4034

Nondescript Coach

I think I was given this as a challenge! It was painted Brown on one side and Brown and Cream on the other! The roof was off and some interior fittings were loose. But the worst thing was that the Glazing was superglued in, apart from one bit that had fallen out! What made it worse was that the glazing was misty and had paint over it. Well after re-assembling and hand painting the sides – this is the result.

IMG_4039

IMG_4040

IMG_4041

And Finally a re-livery and re-weathering of a Pug from LMS to BR.

IMG_4082

 

IMG_4083

IMG_4085

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

O Gauge Project Mercury Wagon ZDW

This wagon was made by Graham using a brass kit with ‘poppy’s wood inserts’ The painting has just been completed by myself.

We were both looking for something a bit out of the ordinary to use on our Morlock Heath Engineers layout and this certainly filled the bill.

I will weather it if Graham requires it done, but I have failed to find a really dirty photo of one as they seemed to have been well looked after in their short life in this livery. I will post further photo’s if it is weathered.

I added a ‘Air through Pipe’ as this wagon could be run in Vacuum and Air Braked rakes.

IMG_3972

IMG_3971

IMG_3970

IMG_3968

IMG_3967

 

 

 

O Gauge Loco’s for Les Williams

Les is a very old friend and he paid a visit on Sunday. I have known Les for over 20 years now and he is an absolute delight to ‘talk trains’ with.

Les has recently purchased some loco’s and I agreed to help him number and weather them. The below photo’s were taken by Les when he arrived home.

23756285_1123691834435149_566514165_n

23782161_1123691854435147_1789550774_n

23758199_1123691821101817_1457735033_n

23805570_1124262237711442_2051965995_n

23758496_1123691777768488_894630380_n

23758328_1123691727768493_563898823_n

23805682_1124262207711445_780110931_n

Oh and one Van

23772176_1123691724435160_286129728_n

I HAVE TO SAY——–Nice wallpaper Les!!!!!!!

 

O Gauge JLTRT Pressflow Cement Wagon

This wagon was made by Graham and painted and weathered by myself.

I can not comment on the making of the wagon, but Graham certainly had to call on all his modelling techniques to finish it.

As far as painting was concerned it was a medium to difficult job with ‘lots’ of masking and quite a bit of hand painting. The transfers were OK, but could have been better– perhaps I should have varnished the transfers first! I put two coats of varnish on the transfers after applying them to ensure they stayed in place.

The weathering was performed by several washes and a little dry brushing on the body – then my usual methods on the chassis.

I am reasonably happy with the results – although it could have been better with more durable transfers.

IMG_3815

IMG_3816

IMG_3817

 

IMG_3818

 

 

 

 

 

 

Six Dapol 4 wheel vans – O Gauge

This was a renumbering and weathering exercise for some insulated/meat vans. All renumbering was carried out using Fox Transfers. The Fox numbers were slightly smaller than the Dapol ones so any number change meant the whole number and not a partial had to be done.

The Dapol numbers come off with ‘white spirit’ very easily. Now a word of warning – not only do the numbers come off  easily – so do ‘all’ the other tampo printed items. This means if doing a wash to highlight the planking – all the other details will disintegrate !!! – solution, all tampo printed items to be kept must be varnished before weathering and washes applied. I used two coats and left for 48 hours to totally dry.

Meat Van

IMG_3802

 

IMG_3803

Pale Blue Insulated Vans

IMG_3799

 

IMG_3800

 

IMG_3801

White Insulated Vans

IMG_3804

 

IMG_3805

IMG_3806

IMG_3807

IMG_3808